Deer Lake Property Owners’ Association Board Meeting
Minutes: February 10, 2012
President: Gene English*
Vice President: Mary-Ann Remstad
Secretary: Fred Daris (acting)
Treasurer: Carol Gill*
Members at Large:
- Fred Daris*
- Sharon Gardner*
- Robert Namowicz
- Robert Schaffer
- Doug Foyteck*
- Therese Williams
Also in attendance-DLPOA committee members: Ken Gill, Sharon Hurlbert, and Rick Gutowski
- Gene English called the meeting to order at 8:10 am.
- The January meeting minutes were approved.
- Carol Gill presented the financial report – Balance as of 1-06-2012 is $4828.83. No outstanding bills or invoices.
- The annual meeting for the DLPOA will be: Date: April16th
- Location: Fire Station #1 – Citation Drive
- Time 7:30 PM
- The annual meeting notice was reviewed and approved with changes.
- The Optimist Club has given a grant of $50,000 to Independence Township for improvements to the Deer Lake Beach. Funds are for capitol expenditures and not for every day operations. Some ideas for improvement form DLPOA were:
- Fence around the parking lot
- Expansion of fenced area at shore
- Electric gate for boat & beach user access
- Boat wash station to stop invasive species from entering the lake
- Update of life guard stations
- Elimination of phragmites across White Lake Road (adjacent to the beach area)
- Removal of zinc fence for improved water quality
- Natural plants around beach for better water quality
- Canoe rental
- The sponsoring of the marine patrol of Deer Lake by the DLPOA was discussed. Four tickets and several warnings were given. Concerns are that the Sheriff may be too zealous with lake rules enforcement. Property owners on the main part of the lake noticed that there were more courteous boaters when the Sheriff was on Patrol. A request for DLPOA membership input on the continuing of the Sheriff’s Patrol in 2012 will be sent out with the annual dues notification. Carol Gill will present the results at the upcoming meeting. A decision by the DLPOA board at the March 2 meeting was requested. The contract approval with the Township & Oakland County Sheriff has to be finalized.
- Ken Gill had a watershed mapping discussion with Jean Roth (DEQ). She liked the video created by the CPAC, DEQ, & DLPOA. March 7th is a watershed mapping presentation in Lansing by Dr. Latimore, MSU Dept. of Fisheries & Wildlife. She will also be part of a plant monitoring of Deer Lake this summer.
- Meeting adjourned at 9:16.
The next meeting will be held on Friday, March 2, 2012 at 8:00 AM at:
Brioni Café & Deli
7151 N Main St # 215
Clarkston, MI 48346
March 2, 2012 – AGENDA :
- Approval of February meeting minutes
- Financial report
- Deer Lake Beach Grant – update
- Discussion of Marine Patrol & future actions
- DLPOA annual meeting – 2012 Yearly Dues & agenda + presentors + volunteers
- New Business